Question
Posted by: Reply to Doc | 2008/06/26

Varicosy and Cowardice

Hi Cyberdoc

Thank you for the valuable information. My cholestrol was a bit above normal and I was having lightheadedness, so wanting to do the Carotid Doppler makes sense now. My question is that if they do find that in the neck veins what do they do about it and how is this treated? I got a big fright and adjusted my diet immediately and I have lost 7kg so far. I am overweight, but surely cutting down radically on the fat/sugar intake would help?

ps. My relationship that I am struggling with now (for 2 years) is actually an 11-year old one. I mean paradise lost for 2 years. I guess breaking up after 11 years means I am running the Foot of Africa (not a marathon). I just can't face it right now.

Thanks very much,
Rgds

Dear Reply
They basically do the doppler to see how much the carotid arteries are narrowed and whether they need to operate to open them up or not as it can cause a stroke if it closes up totally. Losing weight will definitely help your cholesterol - 7 kg is a LOT already! Good for you!

If you have been together 11 years, won't relationship counselling help? One tends to change over the years and sometimes it feels as if you totally lose the "vibe" of the relationship but it does not mean that it is necessarily over, sometimes the relationship just changes into a different kind of relationship? Most people that are married for 40 or 50 years will tell you that it wasn't plain sailing all the way and at times they really did not feel very loving towards their partners! Anyway, this is something you need to decide for yourself - if the relationship is "toxic" it is also not the best thing for you in the long run.