Question
Posted by: Karen | 2008-11-24

Varicose veins in right lower leg only

When I was pregnant 10yrs ago I developed a varicose vein in my lower right leg, this has progressively gotten worse looking, sometimes I feel a bit of an ache. My question is I am flying to Australia in December, is there any added dangers if your have these veins ? Am I at a greater risk of DVT and what precaustions can I take ?

Thank you very much !

Dear Karen
Yes you can develop a DVT - take 1/2 Disprin per day for 3 days before you fly. Wear flight socks, and walk around in the airoplane every few hours. Ensure that you drink at least a glass of water every hour.