Posted by: Darren | 2012-11-12

Variant Angina

Hi there. After experiencing a number of cardiac symptoms, and performing externsive online research, i fear that I may be experiencing a Variant Angina. Obviously, me not being a doctor, the next step is to get checked out... What tests would a doctor do on me to determine this? (I''m asking mostly so that I can anticipate costs). Also, would it be better to go to a GP, or directly to a cardiologist?

Essentially I''m looking for the most cost-effective way to go through diagnosis &  treatment (if applicable)

Thanks in advance

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Darren

You don’t mention how old you are, or what symptoms you have been having. I would be very wary of self diagnosis! However, having raised the possibility of variant angina, I think you should go directly to a cardiologist, who can listen carefully to your symptoms. He or she will probably want to do an exercise test, and depending on your age and family history, and other risk factors, that may be all that is necessary. Bear in mind that in most people the history alone should be enough to make a reasonably confident diagnosis.

I hope things turn out well for you.

Kind regards, JT