Question
Posted by: Dw | 2011/10/16

Valdoxan side effect?

Hi doc. Ive been on valdoxan for 2 weeks now and for the last week, Ive had a runny tummy. The package insert says that a side effect is stomach problems, but it doesnt clarify exactly what problems. Could my runny tummy be a side effect of this medication? Thanks.

Valdoxan is an interesting new AD, only recently released in SA. It works on a different chemical system, related to melatonin, and helps to correct our circadian rhythms. It is significantly less likely to cause weight gain or sexual problems as side-effects. Diarrhoea is indeed one of its possible side-effects. Maybe call and ask your doctor for this ? Most drugs the side-effcts are worst in the first 2 weeks, and often then subside, though some persist. I haven't yet seen good information on how Valdoxan diarrhoea behaves in this respect.

1