Question
Posted by: worried daughter | 2011/11/22

vaginal pain

Hi doc...my mother who is 66 yr old has had a spinul fusion on S-L few years ago....She went for a check up at gynae 3 months ago...He only did an internal sonar...no external examination and didn''t do a smear...said at her age this isn''t necessary?
The last 2-3 weeks she has terrible discomfort between her vaginal opening and vulva. She says she feels pressure down under as if someting is hanging out. Has pain with pooing and urine burns and smells bad. Went to GP who treated her with Urospas and some cortizone to put on, but didn''t do visual check up. This evening I told my mom to have a look with a mirror down there....She was worried said that between the vaginal opening and vulva there is a white baloon shaped thing hanging out! They stay in Kleinmond...and struggles to get appointments with dr''s! Do you maybe have any ideas on what''s going on?
Thanx

It sounds to me like a prolapsed uterus. This is not an urgent problem though, if it causes discomfort, it will probably need surgery. She may also have a bladder infection and should have treatment for that. She should make an appointment with her gynaecologist. Pap smears are not necessary as a routine at that age if all previous ones have been normal.

1