Question
Posted by: JS | 2011-04-07

Vaginal itching during pregnancy

Hi Doc,

I''m 5 weeks pregnant and I''''ve been struggling for a while now with itching in the genital area (outer, not inner). Discharge is still white (NOT thick and paste like), sometimes lately it is yellowish- but not all the time. No smell. Just itching. And sratching causes the skin to be broken, and burning because of it. Healing of the skin then causes itchiness again, and so the cycle continues. I don''''t know if this is an infection? Or just candida Is it harmful to the baby? That''''s my biggest concern.

And goodness its irritating, some nights I cant even sleep properly because of it. I''ve tried various balms ets (even Labello- which is okey), and baby barrier cream- but am worried about the zinc oxide in the barrier cream- would this do anything harmful. Been taking probiflora for a few days now, will this be beneficial? I just wish it will be over with!!

J

It certainly sounds like thrush. If this is the case, the best treatment is Canesten cream. The probiotics may also be helpful. Thrush does not harm the baby.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-04-12