Question
Posted by: Sammy | 2011/02/09

Vaginal Discharge(17 years old)

Hi.

I''m 17 years old and have a smelly discharge. It doesn''t itch or burn, Just the smelly discharge, no other symptoms. When I have my Menstrual Cycle it goes away, but as soon as my cycle stops it comes back. This has been going on for a few years. I also noticed that when I have to go to the bathroom there is even more discharge. It is a white, milky discharge(yellow when dry) with a fishy smell. After my cycle it is a brownish discharge, I guess from the old blood.

I''m too embarresed to ask my parents to take me to the doctor.
I''m not sexually active.
Is there something I could get for it?
Please help.
Thank You

If it is white, it may be normal. The other possibility is thrush. This tends to be thick and itchy. Your 'smell' does change as you go through puberty and, if it has been there for a long time, it is most likely normal.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/10

It could be thrush (though that usually itches and doesn''t smell fishy) or you could have some sort of infection.

You are old enough to go to the doctor yourself, so if you are too embarassed to ask your parents, you''ll have to take your pocket money and see your GP. IF it is something serious, they will refer you to a gynae, otherwise they might be able to treat it.

This happens to everyone at some stage, and your mother will have dealt with this in her own life too, so don''t be embarassed to talk to her about it, she will probably be a lot more understanding than you think.

Even women who aren''t sexually active can get infections - not all infections are sexually transmitsted.

Reply to Purple