Question
Posted by: CXM | 2012-10-25

Vaginal Discharge

For the last year or so I have had an increased and constant vaginal discharge. It is clear - white, odourless and not painful although very uncomfortable. Initially I thought it was Thrush as I suffered with that regularly up until +/- 12 years ago. I had a check-up with my gynae a year ago and all tests were clear but he gave me several doses of Fluconizole (?) to take as needed. These dosages were 5 x once a week. It seemed to resolve the problem but as soon as the 5 weeks dosage was done it was back to normal. I have been douching with Betadine which only eases the discomfort as far as feeling cleaner goes. Sex is sometimes painful and I have a burning feeling for a few days afterwards ... I think douching may help?? I am 44 years old and have fairly normal and regular periods - I only use tampons for very heavy days. I am taking 3 medications for depression and anxiety but my problem existed before I started with these medications. I am not keen at all to go to a gynae because it causes more discomfort and the tests are always all clear. Any suggestions?

If the tests are clear, this suggests that it may be a 'normal' discharge. However, if you had a response to Fluconazole then thrush is a possibility. Read the Top 5 questions for ways of preventing recurrent thrush.