Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2012/10/03

Vaginal birth with spine problem, is it possible?

About 7 years ago I struggled with terrible lower back pain, I went for x rays and they found that I have Spondylolisthesis, if I remember correctly I was in grade 1 of this (progress of spondylolisthesis not school grade) I have not had another x ray since then, but I do still suffer with back pain almost everyday. I am now 17 weeks pregnant and am planning on having a vaginal birth but not sure how this problem will affect my birth as it is in my lower back. Is it possible to get another x ray done while pregnant, if yes, what week would be the best and least harmful to my baby to get it done. I remember when i discovered this problem, when i went for physio, she told me I might become paralysed with natural birth so I am very worried, if there is any possibility of this happening i will prefer to have a c section.
Thank you.

You can have an X-ray in pregnancy any time from now on. Discuss this with your gynae as an X-ray of the pelvis would also be important.

1