Question
Posted by: Sally | 2008/10/20

Vacinnations

Hi, I have given my dogs and cats their vaccinnations every single year since they were born. However, at the moment I just can' t afford to do it. How crucial is it that they get their vaccinations. My cat never leaves the property. My two dogs go for a run in the park once a week (off their leads). If it is really crucial I will somehow fit it into the budget but if it isn' t I would prefer to leave it out for a few months. Please can you advice me on what to do. Obviously the well being of my animals is a high priority.

Dear Sally

The recommendations regarding yearly vaccinations are changing and there are lots of evidence that suggest vaccinating every 3 years is sufficient. Depending on the risks you can consider vaccinations every second year.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/20

Obviously vaccinations are important, and it' s clear that you are fully aware of that - but provided the animals have had all of theirs regularly, and are not juveniles who haven' t had an opportunity to build up adequate immunity, delaying the jabs for a couple of months shouldn' t harm them. Financially it certainly does make sense to stagger the vaccinations, anyway - I know it' s quite expensive.

Why not see if your local SPCA or other animal welfare organisation would be prepared to help you out?

Reply to Chill