Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2008/08/05

Vaccine - MCV

Dear Dr,
I have recently been hearing about outbreaks of meningococcal septicemia and this disease has got me a little worried! I am 24 years old and I presume I have the old vaccine (MPSV?) against the meningococcus bacteria, however I heave heard of a new vaccine that became available in 2005 - the MCV. Is it advisable to get this vaccine as a booster to the one I received as a child. Any other prevention you may know of? Thank you

Hi Lauren
The Vaccine available do not cover you for all types of meningitis, (does not cover type B) but if you are an "at risk" patient you can have the MCV vaccine again. See http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4210.pdf