Question
Posted by: Kerry | 2011-08-25

Vaccination reaction in cat

HI
I would like to ask about my one cat who had a suspected vaccination reaction to a Virbac Leucogen shot. He had one on 12/5/2010, a month later on 8/6/2010 and then when he went for his annual shots they gave him another one on 8/3/2011 (approx 9 months later). He has no reactions to his first two when he was only a few months old. However with the 8/3/2011 shot he got sick a couple days after it and after visiting 3 vets (2 of whom said it could not be the vaccination) I was told that it most likely was the vaccination he reacted to and that because leukaemia is such a terrible disease I should still vaccinate him each year BUT that the vet could not guarantee the same thing happening again. He had a high temperature, wouldn''t eat or move or do much. They put him on a drip and he eventually recovered. My problem is that I am really scared to have him vaccinated again as he could die and it cost a lot of money to get him recovered again. I need advice please.
Kind Regards
Kerry

Hi Kerry
Sorry to hear about your situation.

The vets that noted the reaction should have informed the vaccination company who would generally conduct an investigation – they may also cover the cost of treatment.

If the chances of exposure to Felv can be excluded then there is no need to vaccinate. The other alternative is to try a different Felv vaccination.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-08-31

Hi Kerry
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet