Posted by: Zanzi | 2011-10-26

vaccination costs skye high

Dear Travel Doc

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Zanzibar in Dec. I called my local travel clinic and they suggested we have 4 vaccinations (including yellow fever) at R1300.00 per person excluding malaria meds.

So my question is what vaccinations other than yellow fewer do we really need to get? How long before we depart should we start malaria meds and go for the vaccinations?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Zanzi,

YF is only vaccine that is essential and should be given at least 10 days before travel. Any traveller should ensure that they have had a tetanus injection in last 10 yrs. Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended to protect against Food handlers passing it on to you!

Malaria prophylaxis depends on where you are staying and what you will be doing while there and your own sensibilities.

Larium must be started a week ahead of departure so youi can get 2 doses prior to arrival, then weekly and for 4 weeks after leaving malaria. Doxycycline and Malanil can be taken day before departure. Each day in malaria area and 4 weeks daily for Doxycycline and malanil for a week after departure.

If you are spending all time in 5 star est then personal protective measures may be sufficient. However you must take any fevere flu like symptoms over the next 3-6 months seriously and
have malaria excluded.

Posted by: Zanzi | 2011-10-27

Thank you, that was very informative!

Reply to Zanzi