Question
Posted by: Kate | 2009-01-05

Vaccination before getting pregnant

Hi Doctor,

I would like to know whether it is worth getting vaccinated against the following sicknesses before we try to get pregnant (we' ll only start trying in May/June 2009).

Chickenpox
Measles
Mumps

I got vaccinated against Rubella before my first pregnancy, so i' m sure I' m immune against it. I will get bloodwork done to verify my immunity agains all these sicknesses. But I would just like to know if the gap between now and May is enough because I know these vaccines are " live"  vaccines. I had a chicken pox scare with my first pregnancy and I would like to avoid that again.

Also, I would like to start taking a supplement containing folic acid. I' m not taking anything at the moment. Can I use Pregnavit (the same one I used for my 1st pregnancy) now already, or is this only ladies already pregnant?

Thanks for your help!

You can be vaccinated now. Just use plain folic acid.

1
Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-05

Hi Kate,

I had myself vaccinated before ttc, and the dr suggested that I do not become pregnant within 6 mnths of the vaccination.