Question

vaccination

Doc, how dangerous is it to get a flu vaccination while being slightly ill? I' ve had a cold/sinusitis thing for 4 weeks now and therefore could not go for my regular annual flu shot because the chemist says you have to be perfectly healthy. I want to get the flu shot before it' s too late, but I' m still a bit snuffly although I don' t have a fever anymore. What should I do?

Dear Anonymous
If you are feverish, don't get the vaccine, but if you just have a slight runny nose, you can have it. The flu vaccine is a dead virus ( the body makes antibodies which recognize the covering of the virus) so it can not make you sick. The immunity reaction however may put more stress on the body, causing already sick people to get worse.