Question
Posted by: khethi | 2012-02-26

vacate the place

i really want to get out of my current work environment, i intend to resign this week even if i do not have another job. so far i have saved 3 months salary and plan to look for tempwork. but i have applied for lots of posts. im also setting a business but i am sitill registering it. on wednesday, i knocked off at 20h00 at night. during the day I was told that my manager went to JHB for some meeting. but i also overhead from some colleague say that she went to JHB to buy a books for her personal studies. she came back to the office at 16h00 and there was an urgent memo that the head of the division was waiting for and the memo was with manager for signature. she made changes to the memo and she gave it back to the intern to correct. the intern was getting into the lift to go home at 16h30 and she requested the intern to come back to office and correct the memo. she corrected it and she gave me the hard copy and she/intern sent me the electronic copy as well. the memo was written by another employee, who was already on leave.so i sat and corrected but i never realised i will leave the office at 20h00.

after i gave her the memo corrected by the intern, manager still marked further changes to be corrected on the memo. i did those those changes and still she still marked further changes to be done. this went for about 5 times and after she was happy that the memo is ok, then she signed, it was 20h00, i then walked to 3 streets away to collect my car in the parkade. this is in pretoria central and fortunately that night there were people on the streets. i felt very unsafe to walk aroung at night.
my other 2 colleagues knocked off at 19h30, so that she can check their work. they wanted to leave earlier and she stopped them. the other employee dotched when the manager went to the bathroom cos she lives in randburg
i want to put in my resignation this week. i have a very hard and heartless hr manager and the head of the department is giving me a hard time. and i feel in the middle of politics most of the time and my workload is too much. the hrbp role is not for me, perhaps i must apply for admin job

this working late happens often since the workload is heavy as well. i will call the lifeline tomorrow to get further assistance

so i think the sooner i leave the better. please advice

Sounds like a lousy and inefficient manager, spending too much work time ( payed for by the rest of us ) attending to her own private business, and expecting other staff to work extra time to make up for the work time she wasted. And if she needed to correct a simple memo or message so many times, it sounds as though she doesn't really know her own business or what she wants. No competent manager needs to make so many revisions to a single message.
Discuss this with HR, who should be aware of this and should sort it out. Its outrageous to expect several people to work overtime, because she didn't do her job properly or in time.
Take care that you have a realistic alternative job before leaving if you can.

3
Posted by: khethi | 2012-02-27

i spoke to the chief director, who said shes aware that im miserable in my current role as hrbp. i requested that i be shifted somewhere else and she said i was employed at hrbp and there is no other positions on the structure. she however, promised to review the structure by this may take about a year or so to implement.

Reply to khethi
Posted by: Sunshine | 2012-02-27

Hi Khethi

You sound like you working for a particular Government department. I haven''t been here long but I get the feeling that if something should go wrong that HR and even higher ranked pple are always willing to listen and offer help. Maybe complaining to the relevant pple will help. If not take a a step futher.

Reply to Sunshine