Question
Posted by: Opinion please.... | 2012-01-24

UTI turned into kidney infection-non responsive

Hi - I am starting to panic. I had a UTI that didnt respond to Ciploxx (5 days). I then went onto Augmentin (1000mg 2 x daily 5 days). Still no response. Last Thursday had fever and vomiting and doctor found infection hadnt cleared up. Was put on a third antibiotic (intravenously) and saline to rehydrate. Told infection spread into kidneys. Then fourth course of antibiotics (cant recall name). Today urine still showing signs of infection and a small amount of blood. The lab was unable to grow any culture on the urine sample - nothing showed up. Have had a tiny amount of spotting (fresh red blood). Period one day late but negative pregnancy test. Now I have been put on Flagyll for five days and something to treat the thrush from the antibiotics. My lower back pain and fever is 50% better but still not 100% and nausea still comes and goes. Im getting very worried and wondering at what point i need to look into further tests (urologist, ultrasound, etc). Please can you give me your opinion as Im panicking... I am 36 and havent yet had children although still would like them.

I suggest that you reconsult your doctor and ask him/her for a referral to an urologist, if it is deemed necessary. Pilonephritis is difficult to treat and can leave you feeling ill for a couple of weeks. Your doctor handled you correctly and I think that you are in good hands. Please do not be anxious and address any problems with your doctor.

1
Posted by: P | 2012-01-24

See a urologist - get your GP to refer you - he can get you in quickly. If there is nothing grown from the culture, its not an infection but you should get the hematuria investigated.

Reply to P