Question
Posted by: sally | 2008/09/11

UTI recurrent

Hi, I wounder if you can assist. I am having recurrent UTI' s, went to the local Dr. and was placed on Cipro x5 days and went back after that as still not gone and Dipstick showed again blood, pus etc in urine. Then placed on Tavaloxx x5 days and seemed okay to me, i.e. no burning pain, frequency. One week later it is back again with constant burning sensation (not burning on urination though) and frequency. No other symptoms othe than the burning sensation 24/7. How can I treat this now myself as i am not going back to this Dr. here as he is a rip off, charges for the visit, charges an admin fee and even charged me R12.00 for the one diptick strip? I am now through with doctors but need to obviously stop this burning as it is very irritating and uncofortable. Can you help?

Hi Sally
Have your urine tested at the pharmacy - they will be able to tell you if there are still pus - which is an indication that you still need antibiotics. The right thing to do if it still tests positive for pus is to send urine to the lab to see whether you have an antibiotic resistant bacteria in the bladder. In the meantime try taking citrosoda 10 ml three times a day in water and drink lots of water ( 8-10 glasses a day)