Posted by: Jane | 2009-01-27

UTI before and after menstrual period

i get a bladder infection every single month just before (this can be up to two week before) my menstrual period , this month i felt it coming on and started drinking 100% cranberry juice it eased up but on my last days of my period it come back badly with me getting the metal taste at the back of my throat and wanting to throw up. This has been carrying on since the birth of th 5 year old son, i have had my urinary tract stretched so i can use a cathater and i am suppose to use this eveyrtime i go to the toilet , which i am sorry i still do not understand the only thing i was told is i am not emptying my bladder when i go to the toilet so i have to use the catheter to drain the excess urine and if i do not i will keep on getting bladder infections and it will be for the rest of my life, yet again i do not understand.. , a month after that op i started shaking and scans found a 8cm cyst on my right overy and had a bad cause of endromosis .When i read up on all the causes i find that : i have gone through i stage where i am not sexually active, i am very hygenic yet i seem to get UTI every single month please help me as i just want to lead a normal life...

It sounds like you have an abnormality of your urinary tract which predisposes you to UTIs. This is probably something you were born with. You have been given advice as to what to do and I understand your explanation. If you are not clear about the problem, ask your doctors to explain it again when you next see them. Sometimes it is necessary to stay on a low dose of antibiotics to prevent recurrent UTIs.