Question
Posted by: Sally Burrows | 2010/12/20

UTI

I have my 4th UTI in 3 years - it has been going on now for 2 weeks. The Dr. put me on a five day course of Avelox which ended saturday and i went in today to have a urine Dpistix and it is worse than before the medicine with protein up and blood in the urine up. The previous one i had 5 months ago and he put me on Cipro which did nothing, then cipro again and nothing, then a single sachet of some powder that cost a fortune, nothing and when i went for colon surgery two days later I still had the UTI and the antibiotics they injected into the IV line to prevent infection cleared it up but now 5 months later it is back again. I am 50, had a hysterctomy 2 years ago (still have ovaries) but am menopausal, and i do not have a prolapsed bladder as that was checked out 5 months ago as the Dr thought it might be that. Why do they keep coming back and why is Cipro, Avelon etc not clearing it up? Each time there is blood and protein , today i have blood +++ and protein +++ - i take myprodol to help with the burning pain and so i can sleep at night but still wake up 3x a night due to urgency/discomfort. Please help me.

Hallo Sally
You may need to see an urologist/nephrologist for further tests. Blood and protein in the urine can be a sign of kidney disease like nephritis or nephrosis. See http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~cxxxdQH6Eb6H/_
They should also send a urine sample to the lab to culture to see if they can identify any specific bacteria, and if found, test the sensitivity to antibiotics, so that one knows what to prescribe.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/21

Hallo Sally