Posted by: anon | 2009-09-27

Hi, I am a 42 year old female. I have continual UTII' s - approx 4 a year. I am taking cranberry tablets daily now which I think helps a bit but would like to know what possible causes are. I have read up and my hygiene is excellent, esp before and after sex, I wipe correctly, i dont use any bath oils etc, I only use white soap and toilet paper. I am at my wits end with this.

I have had 4 Caesars. I heard that women that have had caesars and hysterectomies suffer more from UTI' s - is this true? If so, why?

Yes, it is in fact the possible.

I do however, suggest that you consult an urologist for an examination to determine if there is any abnormalities in your urinary tract system.

In the interim, use a topical estrogen cream. Unfortunately, you will have to consult a doctor for a prescription.

Refer to the following link regarding UTI's:

Posted by: melissa | 2009-09-27

I had the same problem after babies were born - in spite of all the precautions you also mention. Have been to see two urologists and many tests. No-one knows for sure, but I am convinced it has to do with pregnancies.

Take the cranberry tablets daily and make sure you drink 1.5 litres of water a day. The one urologist told me that all the infections and antibiotics make you even more prone to a UTI, so it is a vicious circle.

For me, the cranberry tablets work better than Deblaston or Macrodantin.
You can also ask for Urispas and take it for two weeks after the infection has cleared up. It relieves the terrible spasm that you have in your bladder (that remains even after the infection has cleared up after recurring UTI' s).

Good luck, I know it is a terrrible and very frustrating problem, but it does get better over time. Oh, and avoid food that can irritate the bladder.

Reply to melissa