Question
Posted by: justme | 2009-06-08

uterus bleeding

I' ve been on the injection for about a year now due to a strong family line of cancer (especially breast cancer). The doctor advised me that the oestrogen in the pill could help this on.
After about 6 months I started spotting, we consulted the Gynea who thought that it might just be resistance to the injection and we switched to another one. After 3 more months it started again. With an internal exam it showed that my uterus (according to the gynea) is thinning. He says it’ s supposed to be about 9mm in width and mine was about 2mm. He gave me big doses of oestrogen and about a month later another dose. That was a month ago and I' ve started bleeding again. Can you give me an idea of how common this is and if we' re taking the right approach here? I' m 23 and want to have a family in a year or two.

It is normal for the injection to cause thinning of the uterine lining. Oestrogen does reverse this. Perhaps you should try a differnt contraceptive in the longterm.