Posted by: Rose | 2010-05-26

Uterine Septum

My daughter has been undergoing IVF treatments. Before her latest cycle, her Fertility Specialist told her that he had found a small uterine septum but that he did not want to remove it as he was worried that the resultign scar tissue would affect her chances of falling pregnant. I have since read a lot on the internet saying that with a uterine septum the chances of miscarriage are very high. Was he wrong to leave it. She has since fallen pregnant and is now ten and a half weeks pregnant. I am really worried about miscarriage. What are her chances of a full term baby if the septum is very small. Thank you.

Dear Rose

I think was a very wise decision by your daughter’s fertility specialist not to remove a uterine septum that is small. There is no doubt that scar formation occurs after removal of uterine septum and because the septum is small in her particular case I think she would have a good chance to carry the pregnancy to full term. The most critical period for miscarriages is the first trimester and the fact that your daughter has almost reached that stage she should however continue reasonable successfully in this pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Dee | 2010-05-26

Many, many ladies fall preg and happily carry to term with septums and they never know about it. Its just because going to a fertility doc, they tend to pick up on these things. You say its small so I think it will be ok or else the doc would have removed it.

Reply to Dee