Question
Posted by: Mpho | 2012/08/17

Uterine Fibroids Treatment in South Africa

Please advice, a person close has been diagnosed and found that she is got fibroids. I did sum research about the treatment and found that, you can treat it using Uterine Fibroids Embolization, is it safe to do the procedure and where can I find a clinic or health centre which specialises in such situations?

Please Help

Uterine artery embolisation is only done bya few people in the country. Your best bet would be to try the teaching hospital in your area.

23
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/01

I was diagnosed with fibroids about four years, did not have a lot of symptoms but recently have to pee a lot and constantly feels like I have period pain, bloated, abdominal pain and its worse at night. I want to have children so which treatment is best suited for me (interested in the UFE and am based in East London).

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/22

I have been offered the option of a myomectomy IR a hystorectimy.I want uae performed instead. I am 42 buf my fynae may not agree as he never offered if as an option and I have been seatching for a by hynae in Durban familiar with the procedure. I understand now that it is done at St.Augustine's but who conducts it ?

Posted by: Thandi | 2015/10/24

First in Africa Baragwaneth Hospital is treating fibroids no surgery needed takes about two hours.

Reply to Thandi | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/14

HI do you know which department or who i can contact, to have my fibroids removed, reply to jackmanlinda4@gmail.com

Posted by: Bernz | 2015/10/30

Hi Thandi, we're desperate... How do one go about to go for this treatment, to get an appointment? My sister is up and down at "old Coronation hospital" (1year), no treatments or medication, but she has constant pain. Pls help!!

Posted by: wannano | 2015/05/30

How much is it to do UFE in south africa?.....pliz help

Reply to wannano
Posted by: wannano | 2015/05/30

Reply to wannano
Posted by: wannano | 2015/05/30

Reply to wannano
Posted by: wannano | 2015/05/30

Reply to wannano
Posted by: joel ezebuiro | 2015/04/01

Which hospital in south africa can handle the removal of fibroids without surgeries? Pls, I need the contacts. Joel from Lagos: +2348034048794 ezebuirous@yahoo.com

Reply to joel ezebuiro
Posted by: joel ezebuiro | 2015/04/01

Reply to joel ezebuiro
Posted by: Happy | 2015/01/08

Hi there, I would like to find out if there are organizations here in South Africa that funds or assist in paying for one's operation. I have been to several gynaes and they told me I have fibroids that need to be operated. The last gynae told me that I have 8 of them two are the size of a golf ball. So i went to the government hospitals and they told me the is a queue they can only operate me in 2016 or 2017. I'm 32 now and I'm trying for a baby , I had a miscarriage in 2013 it was 10 weeks. I was not told the cause. Now I had to find out from private hospitals they told me it's 20000 and above for the operation. I do not have a medical aid. If you please happen to know of ant organization that funds for operations like these let me know, I can as well raise some funds. Thank you. I also have a massive heavy flow that I have to wear adult's dypers because a pad can't sustain.

Reply to Happy
Posted by: Revelation | 2014/05/23

i dd hav myomectomy 2yrs in ago,bt nw again the fibroids is back agyn n is nt even a year aftr the 2nd operation.im only 33 de doctors refuse to do hesterectomy wht mst i do i need help pls.

Reply to Revelation
Posted by: Dr Gary Sudwarts | 2013/11/07

Hi there, Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) or Uterine Artery Embolization is an excellent choice for women with symptomatic fibroids that which to keep their uterus. It is an extremely safe procedure with patient satisfaction equivalent to or better than the surgical options. UFE is very well established scientifically with about 30 000 cases a year in the US and it is recommended by the NHS in the United Kingdom. We perform the procedure regularly at UCT Private Hospital and Groote Schuur Hospital. It is much less invasive than surgery. Time in hospital as well as return to normal function is much quicker than after surgery. The uterus is preserved. The procedure is covered by most medical aids. I would be happy to discuss if further with you or your gyaecologist at any time. gary@fibroids.co.za Dr Gary Sudwarts Specialist Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist

Reply to Dr Gary Sudwarts | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Nadine | 2016/05/31

Hi Dr, i would like to know the cost for Uterine Fibroid Embolization. Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/26

Dr Gary Sudwarts, I wish to know the cost for Uterine Fibroid Embolization. I also need your phone number to discuss further and make an appointment. Please respond to me at kapenyo@gmail.com. Thank you.

Posted by: Mahao Matsoeunyane | 2013/08/24

Hi, i was diagonised with uterine fibroids and i don't use a method of contraceptive for 4 years and i have womb pain,left leg pain back pain heavy bleeding and headaches during menstuation what should i do i have been to 2 gynaes can medication help?

Reply to Mahao Matsoeunyane
Posted by: Janine Claassens | 2013/06/20

Please visit my website www.fussa.co.za for all relevant Information on the various treatment options for Fibroids. See also the advantages and disadvantages of UAE (Uterine Artery Embolisation). For our ladies that still want to get pregnant You do have other choices. Focussed Ultrasound is not Yet available in South Africa (I knew about it six year ago, maybe we Should start asking why it isn't available here). There is also a New procedure approved six months ago a hundred times more effective Than UAE. For more info you can email me on jclaassens1972@gmail.com

Reply to Janine Claassens | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Dr Gary Sudwarts | 2013/11/20

Hi Janine Focused Ultrasound treatment of fibroids is effective but it requires specialized equipment and a lot of MRI time for planning. Both are extremely expensive investments. Most women don't know that they have an alternative to hysterectomy and therefore the demand for Focused Ultrasound at this time is very limited. Many normal births have been documented after Uterine Fibroid Emoblization (UFE). At this time myomectomy (surgical removal of the fibroid) is the preferred option in most cases but the role of UFE in fertility is currently a topic undergoing international review. I am not aware of any treatment that is hundreds of times better than UFE. UFE is an extremely effective treatment with very high patient satisfaction rates. All the best Dr Gary Sudwarts gary@fibroids.co.za

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/02

Hi. Please advise on your website address... link does not work? Interested in more info.

Posted by: Daphney | 2012/12/06

Just been diagnosed with fibroids, they say they are still tiny and at early stage however I would there want to know the causes  treatment and the dangers if not treated

Reply to Daphney
Posted by: Carol_S | 2012/08/21

Hi there,
Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) is available in SA and is performed by an interventional radiologist, found mostly in the larger private and government hospitals in most major cities.
The procedure has both benefits and disadvantages when compared to surgery but is safe and effective in approximately 90% of patients.
Importantly the procedure should only be performed if the fibroids are causing symptoms, and if there is no future desire to fall pregnant.
For further advice I would recommend you, or your clinician, contact your nearest radiology department...

Reply to Carol_S