Posted by: mummy | 2011-01-28

My 18year old son has started to work out daily for the past two weeks. he also started taking USN musle shake. He has now developed some muscles. I am afraid it is too quick. Can it be as a result of the shake. he is six feet tall and always had a slim body. Is it safe for his age?

HI there

I think he should avoid the supplement to begin with, regardless of whether it works - you've probably read what happened to the two Springbok rugby players? That was the result of contamination of a supplement, and the truth is that no one can really guarantee that those supplements are "clean".

The way to achieve muscle development is through diet and training first, not supplementation. At some stage, much later perhaps, there's a chance he needs a supplement to begin, but that's to consider much later. The reason he has achieved is because he has just started training. Rather than spending hundreds a month on supplements, spend it on a good diet, see a dietician and have them prescribe what he needs to eat, and he'll get the same, with better health and lower risk.