Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-16

USN low gi

I urgently need to loose weight but I think I use to consume to much protien cause I red that you have to consume 0.8-1g of protien per day and then having 2 protiens (50g as its 2 x 55g scoops low gi USN) shakes and one portion of protien (meat/fish/chicken 30g) and approx. 2-3 (20-30g) portions in the teas and coffee that might amount to approx.100-110g per day and I weigh in the 80kg so I replaced one PS with 2 slices of bread with tomato sauce, I might even have oats or pro-nutro whole wheat tommorow morning. Is my calculations correct as I' m not sure if a serving is 1 or 3 scoops? I don' t want to build to much muscles? Could a person loose muscle if you cut out protien? ...

Dear Zexeon
According to my text book on Sport Nutrition athletes who are building muscles (like weight lifters) don't need to overload on protein to build muscle. What they do need to do is to the correct weight-bearing exercises and give their bodies time to develop those muscles. I am not sure how you have worked out your protein intake (I am a bit puzzled about the protein from the teas and coffees - is this from milk? or what?), but many South Africans regularly eat 100 g of protein a day, which is double the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)! Protein provides 17 kJ or 4 kcal per gram, and it is not as fat-promoting as fats themselves, BUT protein from animal products such as meat, fish, eggs and full-cream dairy products is usually associated with a high fat content, so you may have been ingesting more fat than you require and that can add up over time. Also check the low-GI shake to see how many kilojoules or kilocalories your servings were providing - this can be a source of extra energy that can cause weight gain. Rather use a diet that has a moderate lean protein content with plenty of low-fat carbs.
If you do cut down on your protein, but continue to exercise you should not lose muscle tissue.