Question
Posted by: SUSHI STARVED | 2006/11/11

Q.

USN DIET????

Hi. I have been on a strict USN Diet Fuel diet.. The eating plan that comes with the USN doesnt cover all aspects that i would like to be cleared up.
For instance, am i allowed to eat sushi? Am i allowed soya sauce? and also am i allowed FAT FREE milk? And LAST one am i allowed fructose instead of sugar in my cup of coffee in the morning? Beacuse the diet says im allowed to drink coke light and sprite zero... Surely these drinks are high in sugar? So why cant i have fructose instead?

Many Thanks
SUSHI STARVED

Expert's Reply

A.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of these diets - there is no need for these 'radical' approaches, when sensible eating achieves the same goals, perhaps in a longer time, but in a more sustained way. This approach, of restricting foods and having to take supplements is a disaster. There is no basis for it, and the supplements are all unnecessary as well - they are never tested, and so there is NO evidence that they work and NO evidence that they are safe. I think that the money spent on these things is better spent on seeing a dietician and receiving a comprehensive eating plan.

The idea that you HAVE to avoid certain foods is incorrect - everything in moderation is the key. Not excessive sushi, obviously, but not none either. You need to see a dietician about it. And one last thing, is that the USN guys themselves are the last people from whom advice should be taken, because they have a massive conflict in interests - their objective is to sell product, so you have to be careful about where advice comes from.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Mike | 2006/11/12

The USN guys will have to answer your questions on diet.
Fat free milk should be ok??? Mens health said that milk and yoghurt helps with weight loss(as well as strong bones,calcium).
Fructose is sugar found in fruit, so it's a different composition to table sugar which is more refined and a highter GI.
Sprite zero and coke light as far as i know contain sweeteners instead of sugar.

Reply to Mike

Want to comment?