Question
Posted by: Dan | 2011/11/21

Using positive past memories as healing

I have been thinking that when one is depressed, it alters your whole outlook on life and most importantly affects the way you think. In addition to a good CBT program wouldnt it be a good idea to try and recall times when you were not depressed and try and rekindle those thinking habits by reliving the past? I find that music especially can serve as a gateway to recall past experencies very vividly.

Actually, Dan, you're raising several points here. One of the central problems in Depression is that it is selectively more difficult to remember those pleasant and happy parts of the past : some research has shown that depressed people tend to selectively notice, attend to, and recall the unpleasant aspects of their daily life. And if they recall nice parts of the past at all, they tend to do so only as a horible contrast to how awful everything is now, and to bemoan the LOSS of the good days.
So there truly is a significant alteration in one's outlook on life, literally.
Separately, music can indeed be a useful way to recapture pleasant memories, or to relax, and there is a whole field of Music Therapy, but it often works best when one is relatively well and not depressed. In my experience, depressed or otherwise sad people often complain that beautiful music makes them sadder and tearful.
I suspect that the techniques you suggest would indeed be useful, but probably not in the depths of depression, but as part of the recovery phase.

1