Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2010/08/10

Using more and more salt...

Hi there.

I have been going to gym and working out harder and harder, but for the last month it''s as if my body craves more salt. I try to not add too much, but it''s really as if the food don''t taste as good without the additional salt. Is this a sign that my body needs more salt?
I have been following a healthy eating plan, but am worried about the salt. My blood pressure is normal (116/73 - it does fluctuate a bit, but never outside the normal range).
Is this something to worry about or is this perfectly normal?

Dear Antoinette
If you are working out at the gym with ever increasing intensity then, your body will require more sodium (found in table salt which is sodium chloride) and potassium. I would suggest that you use a sports drink (Energade, Powerade, etc) which contain sodium and potassium, during your exercise session to boost your intake of these 2 so-called electrolyte. If you sweat a lot, then you will lose more salt (sodium) than if you were inactive.

1

Dear Antoinette