Question
Posted by: Gainer | 2009-10-06

Using milk to gain weight...true or untrue?

After reading a few articles I know that milk can undoubtedly make someone gain weight, which is my ultimate goal. But I remember reading somewhere that the best milk to take is Fresh Full cream pasteurized milk. The author made a distinction between pasteurized
and homogenized pasteurized milk and said that one should avoid homogenized pasteurized milk because all the nutrients were " killed"  due to the intensive heat the milk went through and thus intake of this milk will not have effect on weight gain. Is this true?

Dear Gainer
While milk is probably one of the best foods available being rich in high-quality protein, and B vitamins, as well as being the best source of calcium in our diets (and we need up to 1300 mg of calcium a day!), I have never heard of it being used for weight gain as such. In fact recent research indicates that using low-fat milk and dairy products rich in calcium helps people lose weight! Also the difference in energy content between full-cream milk (257 kJ per 100 ml) versus fat-free milk (146 kJ per 100 ml) is not so dramatic that it will cause weight gain if ingested as 3 cups a day (the recommended daily intake to provide those 1300 mg of calcium). So if you want to gain weight please click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles on how to gain weight. There have been many theories about the pros and cons of pasteurisation and homogenisation of milk, but if you consider that without pasteurisation you will be exposing yourself to all kinds of potentially harmful pathogens like TB and that pasteurisation will not change the energy content of the milk, then I would rather use pasteurised milk than raw milk. But pasteurisation does involve high heat treatment for a very short time to kill all those microorganisms. Why homogenisation should cause anyone any problems remains a mystery to me. All that happens is that the milk fat is divided into smaller droplets (a process that does not affect any of the vitamins, calcium, etc), and this process is not done at high heat so I really don't know where that author got his ideas from???

1
Posted by: ZZZ | 2009-10-06

Why drink milk, if you can drink something like red wine!

Reply to ZZZ