Posted by: Pamela | 2009-11-21

Using air conditoners in cars seems to block up my nose and dry out my eyes

I realize you may not be able to help with this query but I do not know who else to ask. I do not drive in my car very often but when I do and I have the air con. on, my nose blocks up and my eyes get very dry. I end up with very bad sinus and rhinitus. Is this from germs circulating from a dirty air con. and if so how do I clean the sir con.?
Thank you.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Pamela

You may be one of the patients that is indeed affected by an airconditioner. As it is always a good idea to have a clean airconditioner (clean filters, etc) you may find that you are still affected regardless. this my be due to the dryness of the nasal mucosa (lining) caused by the aircon. These devices dry out the nose, making you more prone to the developement of rhinitis and eventually sinisitus. In that case it would be best to avoid the aircon as much as possible.