Question
Posted by: John | 2008/09/12

Using a pill more than once

My girlfriend and i want to have unprotected sex this whole weekend with obv using an emergency pil(Norvex), is this safe to take the pill after intercourse tonight and then tomorrow and then on sunday? Please help.

One of my SASHA colleagues (Dr M Moss) wrote this for us earlier this year; I think it answers your question well...

Emergency Contraceptive Pills [ECPs] are pills containing hormones taken after unprotected intercourse in order to prevent pregnancy.The hormones used are the same as those used in regular contraceptive pills but in different doses.

Whilst not intended for frequent use there is no known health risk from using emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) repeatedly and no effect on future fertility. Technically there is no limit to the number of times a woman can use ECPs and they should not be "rationed". However correctly used regular methods of contraception such as "the pill", injectables and intrauterine devices are more effective in long term pregnancy prevention than ECPs used repeatedly.

Emergency contraception is an excellent way to prevent pregnancy after a single episode of unprotected intercourse, but obviously provides no protection from STIs including HIV.

2
Posted by: tammi | 2008/09/12

will the pill not be less effective if his girl friend takes it on the 3rd day?

Reply to tammi
Posted by: halala | 2008/09/12

As far as I know you have until 72 hrs to take the pill in order for it to be effective, so don' t put your partner under such trauma of having to swallow the pill three times. I belive 72 hrs amounts to three days.

Reply to halala