Posted by: RayCN | 2008-12-17

Use of Zyban whist on Warfarin

I have recently been put on to Warfarin for DVT in my leg and now want to stop smoking after 40+ years. I have a prescription for Zyban and would like to know whether it is safe to use it whilst taking Warfarin.

Dear RayCN
Altered PT and/or INR, infrequently associated with hemorrhagic or thrombotic complications, were observed when bupropion was co-administered with warfarin, so I would be very careful if I were you, it may be difficult to manage the Warfarin effect. ( they both have an effect on an enzyme in the liver that is responsible for metabolism of drugs) Maybe you should rather try stop smoking program

Posted by: RayCN | 2008-12-18

Dr Bets &  Smokey.
Thankyou for the advice. It' s strange that my specialist doc said it would be OK to use Zyban with warfarin. They always say that it is good to have a second opinion!
2ndly, my daughter gave my wife and I a copy of the book in June, but.................... I have put off reading the book.( any excuse)
I will definitely start reading today.

Reply to RayCN
Posted by: Smokey | 2008-12-18

The book of Allen Carr - Allen Carr' s Easy Way To Stop Smoking - will definitely help you to stop. I can tell you that. I' ve read the book and i stopped after 20 years. It' s been 8 months now. Never had cravings or any withdrawal symptoms. I only picked up 3 kgs. The only way to find out if it will work, READ THE BOOK.

Reply to Smokey