Posted by: Ice | 2008-11-10

Use of weight loss supplements

I am doing research on a possible article for my study course. I would like to know, if the use of weight loss supplements are becoming prevalent among younger children age 6 to 15 years, as a method to combat obesity. I work for a health Company as a health advisor and receive many calls from desperate mothers wanting to put their children on weight loss supplements. You response is highly appreciated.

Dear Ice
I unfortunately do not know what the prevalence of weightloss supplement use among overweight children is in SA. Most slimming pills are not indicated for children and teenagers. The same would apply to the use of meal replacement products and 'metabolic stimulant products'. International nutrition experts agree that children and teenagers need to change their lifestyles by becoming more active on a daily basis and learning to eat a balanced, low-fat and if necessary also a low-GI diet. Please refer the desperate mothers of the obese children to clinical dietitians in their area. Tell them to visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian where they live. It is vital that these obese children are assessed by a dietitian and that they have individual diet prescriptions worked out for their specific needs to lose weight, but still grow normally without being exposed to the danger of diet pills and the addiction that many of them can cause, or unbalanced slimming products that contain a whole host of compounds that either do not assist weightloss or that can also cause negative side-effects.
You could phone the Medical Research Council in the Cape and ask if they have done any research in this field.
Hope you enjoy your study course