Question
Posted by: vidya | 2008/08/07

use of clomid of letrozole

I have got married past 5years age 27 I have pcos, in first pregnancy my doctor prescribed letroze and duphaston to get pregnant. My goodness I got pregnancy in very first cycle, but now after 4years again I am trying to get pregnant. This time also my doctor prescribed fertility treatment up 4/5 cycles but no use (only one follicle is releasing). Now my question is can I use again letrozole or clomifine tablets between 2 or 3 months intervals please suggest me. And my husband semen counting report is also normal. So please suggest me what can I do to get pregnant within short period. Thanking you

Dear Vidya

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is often associated with anovulation, which means difficulty in ovulating in some of your menstrual cycles. The fact that you fell pregnant with Letrozole and Duphaston the first time does not mean that it will happen so quickly again. The chance of conception just simply with using ovulation induction agents and natural intercourse is approximately around 15%. The average amount of cycles using Letrozole or Clomiphene Citrate is between 3 and 6 attempts. This should however be taken under medical supervision. If after about 6 attempts there is no success then I would suggest that one does a full assessment such as checking if the fallopian tubes are not blocked. If the fallopian tubes are patent, your next step would be to try artificial insemination.

Answered by: Dr Y. Dasoo