Question
Posted by: Scared | 2010/06/01

Uroscopy

Dear doc. I am going to see a Urologist tomorrow because I have been having continuous urethra infections for the past few years (burning at random times), which I think might be due to phimosis which I have had in my earlier years, but which is cured now.

I am almost certain that he probably would like to do a Uroscopy through the penis to see what the problem might be, and since the possibility of a urethral stricture exists, I would like to know what it entails to have it fixed should it be present and also whether I will be coming out of theatre with a catheter. I am scared of this. How is it done these days?

I am a male in my early 20''s. Thank you for your valued assistance.

Hallo Scared
If you have a urethral structure, he would probably stretch it under anaesthetic or make a small cut on the inside scar tissue to open up the urethra, and you may have to keep a catheter in for a few hours but this is usually not painful.
If he suggests that you are going for a uroscopy ask him about the possible treatment options and post operative care so that you are prepared.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/01

Hallo Scared
dr Bets