Question
Posted by: M | 2010/07/12

Urology procedure

Dear Dr Bets

My antibiotics for my UTI''s have failed and my urologist would now like to do the following:

1. Cystoscopy
2. Bladder Biopsy
3. Fulguration lesion
4. RGP
5. Inject Contrast
6. Dil. BN with the code as 2063

These are all the things marked on my theatre booking form and I believe everything above will be during one anaesthesia/at the same time?

Can you PLEASE explain to me what the above entails and how invasive the procedure is going to be. How long will it take?

I cannot at all find anything related to Dil. BN.

I will truly appreciate your time. Thank you for your help. I am a young adult male.

Hallo M
Cystoscopy is looking into the bladder with the scope camera. Bladder biopsy is taking a very small piece of tissue with a small tool at the end of the scope. Fulguration of the lesion is basically burning the raw area with a small electrical current to stop bleeding. RGP is retrograde pyelogram - this is an examination of the kidney and ureters by injection of a contrast fluid (visible on x/rays). Dil BN is dilatation of the bladder neck - slight stretching of the area where the bladder and urethra comes together to help the bladder to empty better. It will probably take less than 30 minutes.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/13

Hallo M