Question
Posted by: Nash | 2011/03/02

Urine Tests

I would just like to know how often when one goes to the gyne while pregnant should one have a urine test, and from what stages in the pregnancy? I went to my gyne on the Tuesday 14th dec, he never did a urine test I was +- 14 weeks pregnant. Then on the Sunday the 19th of Dec I started spotting, went to the hospital emergency room, the first thing they did was do a urine test. It was so severe they put me onto 500mg of antibiotics. Now surely this could have been avoided had my gyne done the urine test?? Please advise? As that Sunday has now cost me R2500 out of my pocket. Is this standard practise?

The standard urine test checks for protein and sugar. If your blood pressure is normal, the protein is not really an issue. Sugar should be checked for at some stage in early pregnancy, either with a blood test or urine test. In terms of bladder infections, checking the urine is not very useful. The urine can be negative for infection on one day and , if you develop an infection 2 days later, it will only then be positive. In other words, it does not predict what has not yet happened.

1