Question
Posted by: anxious | 2010/01/11

URINE

Hi Dr Bets

In mid-Dec on Sun night a few days before I went on holiday (of course!) I woke up about midnight with bad kidney pain. I went to the loo and was able to go back to sleep - until 03:00 that is. Then I got that familiar stabbing pain in my right side. I took 2 stopayne and went back to sleep and woke up again feeling it coming on again about 05:40. I phoned my gp at 07:00 and told him about my pain and he said I must go see him because he wanted to do a blood count. My urine sample showed blood, cells (leukocytes, right?) &  nitrites which he said was a definite infection. My white blood count was up - 15 000 (he said that would be expected because of the infection)I got buscopan &  pethidine injs and 750mg Ciprobay for 5 days then 500mg for 5 days and then Macrodantin 100mg at night for 1 month. (all which I had to take on holiday, never mind the fact that I also had to remember to take my malaria pills! - we went to KP for 5 days (boy was it hot - 39 in Mopani (74kms north of Phalaborwa) and there was lots of rain. My question is how do you tell if the blood in the urine is just an infection or a possible kidney stone problem? I had more tests Sat and am waiting for results. He said my Sat sample looked fine! Still taking macrodantin.

I haven' t had pain that bad that I can remember since before my op (over 5 yrs now!)

Thanks.

Hope you had a good break!

Hallo Anxious
Kidney stones present with cramping pain spreading down into the groin and usually does not show pus cells in the urine, fever or increased white blood cell count initially. It may later if the stone injures the ureter and causes secondary infection.

2
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/11

Hallo Anxious

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/11

Hallo Anxious

Reply to cyberdoc