Posted by: rebecca | 2009-01-20

i am a diabetic using novorapid, levemir, daptril, ridaq and enalapril. Sugar levels are well monitored, have been diabetic for 18 years now. my urine intermittently smells very strong. I am concerned that it may be my kidneys. Kidney and urea etc were tested in sept 08 and all were " OK"  according to my Doc. I have a mirena too. Could it be of a gynaecological nature or bladder infection? I probably use loos in malls about once every three months and i keep my urine until i get home before i urinate. i am also not a fan of drinking water. WHAT CAN IT BE Doc?

Dear Rebecca
It is better to do a urine test - signs of diabetic kidney damage and or infection will be picked up immediately. Urine can smell strong if you keep it in too long or if you don't drink enough fluids (8 glasses a day).