Question
Posted by: Miekè  | 2010/06/15

Urinary Tract infection during pregnancy.

Dear Doc

Im 27 weeks pregnant and have a urinary tract infection, my docter says i have little bit traces of blood and protein in my urine, i was put onto a course of anti biotics, and today when he tested me, he said there is still traces of the blood and protein, so he gave me another 2 days of anti biotics.
He told me to drink lots of water, and doesnt look to worried, although i am! Is this bad for my baby?
Thank you very much.

Hallo Mieke
Women are prone to urinary tract infections during pregnancy, and it is important to treat them soon and sufficiently to prevent complications like kidney damage. Blood and protein are common findings in urine tests with Urinary tract infections. It is not bad for your baby if only traces are found and it is sufficiently treated with medication.

2
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/18

Try cranberry juice or a capsule with plain cranberry extract in it - works well and is safe during pregnancy. And your doc is right: drink plenty of water!

Reply to anon
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/15

Hallo Mieke