Urinary tract infection after sex

My girl friend of 8 years gets urinary tract infection after sex, this happens about 90% of the time to the extend that she is now scared to be intimate.

I use normal Government Issue condoms, can that be the problem?

I know urinary tract infection is a bacterial infection, in other word hygiene plays an important role, would showering before hand make any difference… ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Showering before would make a BIG difference - both to the infection rate and the enjoyment of the activity. Condoms are not a factor in this- but the lubrication that one uses could be a factor....abd Btw have we washed our hands before playing?

Posted by: anon | 2009-07-21

It' s important for sexually active women to bath regularly in clean water (without bath salts and bubble bath). I agree, cranberry juice sorts out the problem quick quick. And yes, she might be allergic to the condom. Try another make and see if it works. Also, she should wear cotton panties and wash her hands before and after going to the toilet. Shame man, I hope it gets sorted!

Reply to anon
Posted by: XXX | 2009-07-17

The real problem is that woman' s vagina is very close to her anus and the natural bacteria that are found in everyones digestive tract sometimes end up in the wrong place. The bacteria end up multyplying and travel up the urinary tract and cause the infection. Because woman' s urinary tract is pretty short, the bacteria invade faster. The best thing is to make sure your hygiene before sex is up to scratch and after sex your gfd goes to the loo to pee. This will flush out the some of the bacteria that ended up there. Also if you you use your finger or your penis around her anus area, don' t put it back in her vagina or anywhere near as you maight transfer the bacteria. I had that problem, infections everytime I had sex, always on antibiotics and on top I used to get thrush. I also have a thrush cream as mentioned above for just in case. There could be lots of underlying problems, weak immune system, hormonal imbalance etc

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Lima | 2009-07-17

Maybe she is suffering from this condition Honeymoon Cystitis\. Check this out on the internet and advise her to drink Cranberry Juice it really helps

Reply to Lima
Posted by: ERIC | 2009-07-17

I cannot give you medical advice. I can however tell you that my wife used to get candida infections. The doctor prescribed medication for her and for me. It appears that the penis may carry some bacteria, notwithstanding how well you wash it. It is probably possible that you are infecting her every time that you have sex. If you are too sensitive about seeing a doctor yourself, try applying clotrimasole anti-fungal cream on your penis head (under the foreskin). This cream can be obtained from a chemist without a prescription. The sales persons at the pharmacy will not even take a glance at you. Many people use it for a variety of skin irritations, especially in the groin.

Reply to ERIC