Question
Posted by: TK | 2009-04-14

uric acid kidney stones

I had uric acid kidney stones last year. I want to know if I can alter my diet in some way to prevent this from happening to me in the future.

Dear TK
I am sorry to hear that you suffered from uric acid kidney stones. You need to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements (most of these foods, except the fish are also contraindicated for a diet to lower cholesterol). Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely.
Increase your liquid intake moderately to ensure that you are drinking 2,5 litres of liquid a day (this need not just be water), to keep your urine more diluted and prevent crystallisation of the uric acid and thus to stop the formation of the stones.