Question
Posted by: ED | 2012/06/04

urgh!

hi

i work at a company with few employees but with a high turnover. the ''boss'' is mostly nice. he doen''t check every move you make etc. just as long as you do your work. but he is also a bit of a dictator in that he second guesses every decision made. in the 3 years i have worked here, i have never made the right decision according to him. he obv never acknowledges the ones that work out. but he keeps putting pressure on me. anyway, friday, it seems, another bad decision was made. i was totally sure about it and now it has actually backfired. i''m so freakin demotivated. when i had to now do some explaining, i just said, i''m never making another decision again. because, for the first time in a long time i was actually prepared to take another decision making risk and i said, if this backfires, i''m taking the heat. and now, i am not shying away from it. but since a law suit is now pending, should i just quit, give up my salary to pay to the opportunistic *& %^head who is making the claim? the main thing is is that the boss is actually my b-i-l and our working arrangement is making family life quite tense.
Another thing is my husband also works here. He used to work at the same office but at another company, but has since moved over to same company i''m at. it is horrible to work with him and this is putting severe pressure on our household. but on the one hand i worked hard to get where i am and most of the worklife is actually fine, nice even. i''ve begged my husband to look for something else, but being the true taurian that he is, no change will take place in the foreseeable future. but i guess i have answered my own question, obviously i now need to go looking for something else in this superb economic climate?

There are often very good ( and discouraging ) reasons why a company has a high rate of turnover of staff. You seem to be describing a really lousy and incapable boss. ( there are many of them around !)
If he has continuing concerns about the major decisions you have been making, can't you arrange with him to run them by him before finalizing them ? Then he can share the blame when they go wrong, and by wanting to share the praise when they go right, would have to share that praise with you, too.
Firms with too many family members working together are usually not a good idea, as family, personal and work issues and motivations too often clash.
How to react to the law suit you mention, well, I can't tell you - don't you need fairly urgent legal advice ?
And can't your husband advise you better ?
Astrology seems the least of the problem, though Taurus does sound rather apt

3

Posted by: Not married to a Taurean | 2012/06/04

Your boss is right anyone who believes we are experiencing a superb economic climate and belives in horoscopes is highly unlikely to ever make a correct decision!
Unless of course you are posting from China?

Reply to Not married to a Taurean
Posted by: Me | 2012/06/04

Give ED Bells. Good boy my girl less work for my CS

Reply to Me