Question
Posted by: nic | 2010/04/08

urgently needs advice

i am a biabetic and i have an underactive thyroid i have sweet tooth and i cant accept that fact that i have diabetes. My sugar level goes up tyo 17 (south africa) I''ve been a diabetic for 8 yrs... I know what to eat i just dont, i know the dangers involed but i doesn''t seem to phase me. for breakfast i''ll have a chocolate and a milkshake i know i have a problem because my eating habbits are a secret, and ive gooten so good at it. How can i get my mind set right. I really need some kind of help...

Dear Nic
Initial denial of a condition such as diabetes is quite normal, because the prospect of having to deny yourself your favourite foods and to do exercise is probably just too much for you to handle. But you do need to mature and accept that every 'illegal' hidden meal is like a nail in your coffin. You are actually suffering from a type of eating disorder and need expert help ASAP before you do irreparable damage to your body. Please for your own sake consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems by accepting that you have diabetes and that you CAN live a happy and productive life provided your follow a diabetic diet and do some exercise. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you with an individual diabetic diet prescription, which you will find does still include some treats and is not all doom and gloom. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
But do something to save your own life while you still have a chance to do so.
Take great care

1

Dear Nic
Take great care