Question
Posted by: David | 2009/11/25

Urgent: Safe to fly with bruised toe/foot?

I hurt my foot/toe last Saturday night. It wasn' t particularly painful and I could still bend my toe, so I suspect it was not broken. The bruise must have been at the joint between the toe and the rest of the foot (as it appears from the outside). I also used Voltarin gel to treat it. Didn' t visit a doctor.

The pain is nearly gone today, and although half of the top part of the foot was green as well as half of the toe, the colour is mostly gone and just the half of toe has turned partially black/purple. The swelling is also mostly gone. I still walk a bit limped.

I have 2 questions:
1) Is my toe/foot okay? Is it healing normally? Or should I be concerned?
2) I' m on a 12-hour long-haul flight tonight to Europe and am concerned about bloot clots forming from the dead blood and going to my heart (I' m 34 years old with no heart problems, although I have a bit high cholesterol). Is it safe to fly? Can I take a sleeping pill to sleep or should I rather stay awake and frequently move my leg/foot/toe?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear David

It sounds as if your toe/foot is going to be okay. You have possibly damaged a soft tissue structure such as a ligament or tendon which will take a while to heal but should be fine.
More importantly; there is an increased risk of DVT with bruising/inflammation of the foot. You can offset this by wearing a compression stocking, available from pharmacies. Also, you should move your feet and toes regularly during the flight so no sleeping. I suggest getting an anti-coagulant from your doctor, you can also try aspirin. Try to get an aisle seat so you can move around regulary.

Chris

1
Posted by: Foot expert | 2009/11/25

Dear David

Chris

Reply to Foot expert