Question
Posted by: David | 2009/11/25

Urgent: Safe to fly with bruised toe/foot?

I hurt my foot/toe last Saturday night. It wasn' t particularly painful and I could still bend my toe, so I suspect it was not broken. The bruise must have been at the joint between the toe and the rest of the foot (as it appears from the outside). I also used Voltarin gel to treat it. Didn' t visit a doctor.

The pain is nearly gone today, and although half of the top part of the foot was green as well as half of the toe, the colour is mostly gone and just the half of toe has turned partially black/purple. The swelling is also mostly gone. I still walk a bit limped.

I have 2 questions:
1) Is my toe/foot okay? Is it healing normally? Or should I be concerned?
2) I' m on a 12-hour long-haul flight tonight to Europe and am concerned about bloot clots forming from the dead blood and going to my heart (I' m 34 years old with no heart problems, although I have a bit high cholesterol). Is it safe to fly? Can I take a sleeping pill to sleep or should I rather stay awake and frequently move my leg/foot/toe?

Dear David
If there was blue discolouration you had bleeding inside - i.e. torn ligament/muscle
Wear Flight socks when flying and take 1/2 Disprin preventatively

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/27

Hi I have minor bruises on my shin and knee tomorrow I will be going on a flight to Melbourne will it be safe for me I am 11

Posted by: John | 2009/11/25

No sleeping pills. Rather frequently move leg, walk.
Do not sit all the time.

Reply to John
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/25

Dear David

Reply to cyberdoc