Question
Posted by: Sue | 2011/02/14

Urgent referral for psychiatric care please

my housemate urgently needs psychiatric treatment. he has a severe drug and gambling problem to the point that he is completely broke. i''m trying the sponsored route via Ramot in Cape Town but I''m worried that he might be too ill for that facility. he is clyclothymic (currently hypomanic) and has visual, auditory and possiblly olfactory hallucinations (althought i''m not sure whether these hallucinations are a way of seeking attention or not). there is also self-harm. his family can''t help financially and neither can I. I buy him food and help him with household expenses but more i cannot do and am actually not prepared to anymore. i''m also very angry at this point as he has mistreated me and has stolen from me repeatedly to the point that i am now in financial trouble. more than that, i also feel that he needs to take more responsibility. apart from going the state psychiatric hospital route, are there any other possibilities for free psychiatric care?

Sounds a very complex case ( for instance its very hard to assess whatever might be an underlying psych condition when there are drugs and drug withdrawl clouding the picture ). Let alone bipolar issues, and a possibility of simulation of at least some symptoms. And part of the problem may be that someone in that sort of condition may not be a patient many clinics would be eager to admit - he'd probably be difficult to deal with.
And you're in the difficult situation that often arises in such situations, where the help you gave, even though you tried to limit it to basics, could have helped sponsor his addictions and other unwise expenditure.
I don't know of any free private psychiatric care available, and if it existed, I'd expect those who provided it to be extremely cautious about offering i to someone with his pedigree.
Why reject sate psych facilities ? He could be relatively well assessed and treated in state facilities, or through the dept of psych at UCT or Stellenbosch.

1