Posted by: Worried | 2010-01-28

Urgent!! Pls help?!?

About 3 years ago our boerboel/ridgeback cross got very ill. We took him to the vet and he told us it was distemper. We treated him with the meds and antibiotics the vet gave us and got some homeopathic distemper meds as well. He pulled through and for a long time he would get a dip and be a bit unwell, but in general he recovered very well with slight nerve damage witch left him with spasms and a bubblegum jaw. All in all he became his old self. 2 days ago he became all wobbly and unsteady on his feet. He doesnt want to eat and only drinks milk and water. He struggles to urinate and has no bowl movement even though he is really trying. We took him to the vet yesterday and he said it is the distemper returning. He gave us some antibiotics and vitamin syrup and also gave the dog a booster shot and a vitamin shot. This morning he is not at all better and still refuses to eat. I am not completely comfortable with the distemper diagnoses.

What else can I do to help him. He is now 9 years old.
Please please help!!!

Dear Worried

I would go for a second opinion.

Posted by: Chill | 2010-01-28

Did your vet do any blood tests? Did he just look at the dog and say ' distemper' ?

Unless you are REALLY unhappy with your vet, I would strongly recommend that you don' t run around to different ones - it wastes time for each of them to rule out stuff before they can make a correct diagnosis. The only exception would be to request a referral to a specialist vet - your vet should be able to tell you about this.

Please remember that if your dog is ill and not responding to treatment, you must communicate this to your vet - if necessary, several times a day. Phone him and ask him what to do. You are a key element in both the diagnosis and the dog' s recovery, and your vet can' t do his job properly unless you keep him fully informed as to what' s happening.

It is also your absolute right to question your vet about his diagnosis - why not simply ask him what made him decide it' s distemper? His answer may set your mind at rest.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-28

you need to go to another vet if you are not happy with your exising vet, and you need to go sooner than later.

Reply to steph