Question
Posted by: farncois | 2010-03-09

Urgent help with HIV subject

over the weekend i cut my finger, it didnt bleed so i''m assuming that not all layers of skin were cut, at my school we had an HIV talk and they said if you come into contact with contaminated blood you will have HIV now i havent touched any one or any thing up until today when i got onto my motorbike after school, i dont know if the groundsmen may have touchced it but i checked my hands and did not see any blood however my paranoia is starting to drive me insane. if it makes a diffrence my bike stood in the sun all day and i washed my hands the moment i got home but im really worried please help.

Hallo Francois
I really don't think you have to worry about contracting HIV in this way. The HIV virus is very sensitive to sun, drying out and heat, so would not survive on the handles of your motorbike even if someone touched it. Put a plaster over the cut to prevent bacterial infection or dirt getting into the cut anyway.
dr Bets

3
Posted by: TP | 2010-03-09

I''m an HIV educators and psychologist with extensive experience in HIV research and education. I do not think you need to worry at all. HIV does not last too long in blood outside of the body (they used to say 4 minutes, but i believe that more recently they believe the HIV dies faster than that when exposed to air). I think you''d need an open cut to come into contact with very very very fresh blood for there to even be a small chance of transmission.

The primary modes of transmission are through various sexual acts where body fluids are exhchanged.

Reply to TP
Posted by: PK | 2010-03-09

Hi, if there was no imediate blood to blood then you can rest assured.. Hiv does quickly outside of the human body.you have no need to panic..

Pharmacist
Jaques

Reply to PK
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-03-09

Hallo Francois
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc